Sunday, December 30, 2012

Don't judge a book by its alcohol content

Ahhh Christmas.  A time for drinking.  I always become slightly alcoholic at Christmastime.  What ever did I do before I turned 21? I'm sure I was miserable, although I can't really remember so I must have blocked it from memory.

my glass is on the left
This Christmas was a bit different.  No, not any less boozy.  In fact, maybe even more boozy. But usually it is just me, my folks and my brother.  This year, we had nearly a dozen including some soon-to-be extended family.  Recently my brother got engaged; I was going to meet her for the first time and also meet her brother.  Before the trip I was asking my bro about her bro and even though I must have gotten a pretty good description (the two boys are such good friends they braid each other's hair), for some reason the only two things that stuck in my memory banks were "smokes" and "likes to shoot guns." Now, I actually like to shoot guns (I've only done it a couple of times but boy was it strangely fun) but for some reason I created this vision of him in my head:


Now maybe this is the booze talking, but the guy I met was really smart, funny, sweet, charming and quite handsome.  What the hell kind of description did my brother tell me? Who knows, but it coulda been better.  I'd have packed something other than my usual bright-red-christmas-leftover-from-the-early-90s pants and light-up antler headband. Wait, now I'm feeling like a back woods country hick... Trying to impress my soon-to-be-brother-in-law-twice-removed? *shakes head* Time to detox my liver and get back to LA. ...Juuust in time for new year's eve, the last booziday (for those of you on the short bus that's booze and holiday combined into one word) of the year.  Which, incidentally, makes the first day of your new year one of headache, nausea, and laying on the couch cursing that sweet devil-friend alcohol.  Where's your resolution now, huh? Now go fix mommy a drink.


No comments:

Post a Comment