Wednesday, May 23, 2012

job interview #1!

Whew! First one is always scariest, right? RIGHT???? (sigh...)

I think mom was more nervous than me.  She made us leave over an hour before my appointment when it only takes 20 minutes to get there.  Whatever.  Gave me time to get her set up at a FiveBucks with her ipad and a latte down the street.

So this interview is for a nameless company that sells high-end yoga apparel and spews forth barf-worthy ideals from the mouths of their kambucha-sipping ex-sorority-girl employees.  Not that I'm bitter or anything.  Jeez.  Anyway, the pay is decent (for retail) and I happen to love their clothes.

I have to say, for retail, their interview process is extensive! There's a loooong online form with 11 essay questions. If they like what you wrote, then you get called in for a group interview.  Then, if they like you at the group interview, then you have a one-on-one interview and possibly a second one-on-one interview and then you might get hired.  All for $12-15/hour.  Mmmkay.

So, apparently my essays were approved, because here I was, sitting in the store waiting for my interview.  I'm there with one other gal Jessica who was wearing jean shorts that were so short I saw not only the cottage cheese dappling her thigh but almost some cheek.  Did she not realize this was a job interview?

Well it turns out it was just the two of us and the interviewer.  I thought I gave some pretty good responses to the questions.  Some examples: How have you elevated someone from mediocrity to greatness? Tell me about what your favorite shopping experience would look like.  What is a goal you have recently achieved?
And then, she opened the interview up for any questions we may have. I asked her how she got involved with this company.  And as it turns out, she has only been working there since February.  February!! And she's interviewing me for a position.  She barely works there herself! How the hell is she going to hire me when clearly she doesn't even know what she is doing??? (sigh...) I need a cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment