Saturday, August 18, 2018

Second date, Second chances

After a successful first date, Dan wanted more. We were texting back and forth the few days between date one and two, and then had to decide what we were going to do for the second outing. I had gone to Dan's side of town for our first, and he had promised my side of town for the second. So when he said
Do you mind if we just do something low-key? Maybe casual dinner and a movie?
Of course! We don't have to paint the town red every time. He suggests we meet at his place and we can ride-share or he can drive us from there.

WHAT THE FUCK DAN


I don't say this.  Instead of un-politely reminding him that he promised to come to my side of town for the second date, I suggest 3 movie theaters that are all about half-way in between us. (I would have suggested a movie theater near my house, but there isn't really one) One of my best girlfriends lives downtown and these are the 3 theaters that she and I meet at regularly. Dan agrees, and suggests 4 movies as possibilities. I give my #1 and #2 choices, and we make plans to meet at a casual salad place nearby the theater.

I make it there right on time, and Dan is MOTHERF*CKING LATE. Only by about 10 minutes, but still! Goddammit. I don't like waiting.

literally me
We order salads and food through the line, and find a spot to eat. We have a lovely dinner. Chemistry is crankin. I confide to Dan about my friend who is gravely ill, he shares his movie script he is working on. We head to the movie theater, and low-and-behold Dan has f*cked up the movie times. Well, actually he f*cked up everything about the movie. My #1 movie isn't even playing at that theater. And the #2 choice he had the wrong times; we missed the start of the movie by about 30 minutes. I can tell he truly feels really bad about it, so I don't make a big deal out of it. We quickly find the movie I want to see at a nearby theater. We hop into his car and head over. While we are driving, he asks if I mind terribly if he stops in quickly to the grocery store. He was going to go before, but didn't make it.

WHAT THE FUCK DAN



I do not say this. We have the time, and so even though I don't really want to shop with him, I am a good sport about it. I follow him around the store as he ping-pongs around the aisles trying to find what he needs. He finally gets what he needs and we check out. Throughout all this, at least he is being cute and charming and funny.

We pile back into his car and head to the movie. We still have enough time to grab a drink at the bar to take into the show. The movie is fine, and he grabs my hand again as we leave. He is still extremely complimentary and affectionate. I like it, even though for some odd reason it feels like I shouldn't. Dan is also a fairly good listener and really seems to be putting me first in how he executes everything on the date. Well, except for the groceries.

He drives me back to my car and we sit in his car for a little bit, talking about life, love, the future, the past, and how short our time on this planet is. Its really lovely. We smooch a bit. Dan says if I wanted to come over, I would be welcome any time. That he just really likes me and wants to spend more time with me. I politely say I will be going home but I like him too.


All of the things that were sticking in my gut on the first date seem to have melted away. I am still a little overwhelmed by how quickly Dan seems to be falling for me. I am most definitely not falling as fast; Dan's affections feel a bit ... unfounded. But he seems so sincere. 

Things are going well enough that I agree to a third date....

No comments:

Post a Comment